I love making leather cuff bracelets, they make great presents and are quick to create. Leather is one of my favourite materials to work with.
I make rings, necklaces and earrings out of leather and draw on them with a pyrography tool (basically a hot pen), or decorate them using leather stamps, acrylic leather paints, rivets or charms.
This leather cuff bracelet is decorated with a charm from a Yemeni silver necklace that a friend gave me when I lived there. I’ve since taken it apart and used the charms for jewellery making. The drawings I did with the pyrography tool.
On this leather cuff bracelet, I used several decorating techniques like leather stamps, a pyrography tool, rivets and acrylic paint.
I find leather straps intended for belt making quite convenient for making leather cuff bracelets. All you have to do is cut the strap to the right length. I like my cuffs about 1cm (1/2 in) longer than my wrist measurement, you have to try out what you like best (a looser or tighter fit).
What you need to make a leather cuff bracelet
- a strap of veg tanned leather, about 22cm (8.5in) long,
- edge slicker – to burnish the cut edges of the leather
- edge dye (optional)
- eco-flo gel antique – I use medium brown
- leather finish – I use a 100 % natural leather finish based on beeswax, carnauba wax and essential oils
- Sam Brown studs or press studs for a closure
- leather stamps, pyrography tool, rivets, charms, acrylic leather paint for decoration
Here is how to make it
- cut a piece of vegetable tanned leather according to your wrist measurement, mine are about 4.5cm (1.7in) wide
- dampen the edges of the piece of leather and burnish them with an edge slicker, I sometimes use edge dye after the burnishing
- decorate it with leather stamps or any way you want
- dye it with antique gel
- apply a leather finish
- and finally, attach press studs or sam brown studs for a closure.
Here is a leather wrap bracelet I made using the batik technique to decorate it. Also fun to make!
Check out my leather sandal making book, it explains general leather craft techniques in more detail and you learn to make your own beautiful sandals!